home                     about & contact                     pr friendly                     advertise                     disclaimer                     product directory                     FAQ

September 25, 2012

SPRING/SUMMER TREND TUESDAY: Metallic Eye

September 25, 2012 | , , , , , , , , , , ,
SOURCE
It's all about metallic eyes this Spring/Summer. It was one of the biggest trends to hit the catwalk and, with it being so easy to recreate a more wearable version, why not bring a little catwalk to your everyday life? 

When I say metallic I mean gold, silver and bronze eyes, but why not have some fun and mess about with a jewel toned metallic eye? Honestly, the sky is the limit!

Wondering what metallic you should rock? 
  • Brown eyes: You're very lucky if you're a brown eyed lady. Given the neutral tones of your eyes you have the freedom to experiment however you want. In saying that, however, blue, gold, purple and deep green colours will work best for you.
  • Green eyes: If you've got green eyes you may find that warm colours will work best. When I say warm think apricot/peach/pink shades with gold undertones. 
  • Blue eyes: All you blue eye ladies, turquoise, blue ad purple shades will enhance your eye colour, making them looking bigger and bringing out the colour. For a more neutral look, however, golds and greens will look amazing.
I have a couple of different product recommendations to create such a look at home. The Urban Decay Naked palette, as well as the Stila Light Up The World palette, both have a great selection of metallic gold/brown shades (with the Stila palette also having purple metallic shades) which will make creating a metallic eye look pain free!

If palettes aren't your thing, the Spectrum Cosmetics Mineral Eye Shadow in Outback Spirit is a beautiful gold colour, as will the L'Oreal Infallible Eyeshadow in Goldmine.

Want to see what I created? Keep reading!
Here's how I achieved my wearable metallic eye. 
  • To primer my eyes and prepare them for eyeshadow I used my favourite eyeshadow primer, Urban Decay Primer Potion
  • To create a base for my eyeshadow I applied Half Baked from my Urban Decay Naked palette to my eyelid, not applying it to the inner corner to leave room for a highlight
  • For a 'not too bright brow bone highlight' I ran Virgin from my Urban Decay Naked palette from my crease to brow bone, ensuring that only a small amount of product was applied 
  • After applying Half Baked I decided it wasn't gold enoughso I applied my Spectrum Cosmetics Mineral Eyeshadow in Outback Spirit over top, patting the product in to prevent fallout 
  • For definition I used a combination of Smog and Darkhorse from my Urban Decay Naked palette through crease/outer v
  • To highlight my inner corner and add some light to the look I applied my NYX Jumbo Pencil in Milk and patted Inglot's 395 eyeshadow over top
  • In my opinion, an eye look like this needs some liner. To line my eyes I used L'Oreal Super Line liquid eyeliner in black, winging it out slightly (I'm terrible at winging so it's ever so slight)
  • For some extra metallic smokiness, I used my Savvy Luxury Liner in Brilliant Bronze on my waterline
  • I'm sure these next two products will come as no surprise but Max Factor Lash Extension Effect and Clinique Bottom Lash Mascara were used on my top and bottom lashes 
  • Finally, for a bit of extra drama, I cut a pair of false lashes I'd bought on eBay to create half lashes and applied them to the outer half of my eyes. Why? Because it's easier to apply!
If you're planning on creating a vibrant eye look, remember to keep everything else fairly muted. On my cheeks I'm wearing my MAC Casual Colour in Keep It Loose! with MAC's Creme Cup on my lips. 

So, everyone, what do you think of this look? Will you be rocking a metallic eye this Spring and/or Summer? If so, what products will you be using the look?

Also, what's your favourite Spring/Summer make up trends for 2012/13? I'll be doing a trend series, uploading a new trend each Monday (yes, this one is late). Stay tuned for next week's. There'll be a giveaway!


Image from my Instagram. Follow me @Borntobuy

Need some new makeup storage?
Click here to enter to win a Glamour Makeup Box from The Makeup Box Shop!

Always look your best,
Sophie
x

Follow me on Twitter @ Born to Buy
Follow me on Facebook @ Born to Buy
Have you got a request for a post? Click here.
Got a question for me? Click here.
Like what you're reading? Follow me.
Got Instagram? Follow me at BornToBuy!

2 comments :

  1. I can never do metallics! Now I am enlightened!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Bec, I'm so glad! That's exactly what this series is all about. :) Would love to know how you go. x

      Delete

Tiny Hand With Heart